Friday, June 7, 2013

Princess Birthday Cookies



So, I wanted to write a post of this because I just think these turned out too dang cute not to ;P  I was asked to make some number and letter birthday cookies for a sweet little girl's 1st birthday party.  Let me just say that any order I receive for a special event like that is a HUGE honor - my work will be part of someone else's memories, and that is very humbling.  Makes me work that much harder to make it as great as it can be.  Anyhoo, on to the details.  They asked for different shades of pink, so I decided to do some ombre coloring - though I did it the wrong way.  Instead of starting lighter and getting darker, I messed up and had to go backwards by adding more white icing and some white gel coloring - which by the way, is the BOMB!  I love that stuff!

I found this tutorial, and to be honest - didn't even read the instructions.  I just thought "Where the heck am I going to get a small crown cutter??"  But thanks to Sweet Sugarbelle and her amazing tutorials, I decided to look at what I already had that could be hacked to do what I wanted.  I found this cutter:

Shooting Star cutter

The top has three perfect little points like a crown, so I got to work.  I cut out all my number 1s, and then I cut out a bunch of these.  I figured out where I wanted the crown to sit on the top of the 1, and then used the 1 cookie cutter to cut the "crown" off the shooting stars and squished those puppies together on the cookie sheet.  Then I did the same thing with the "J"s.  

To decorate the crowns, I made grey icing by using only one drop of Americolor black gel paste color.  Once that was dry, I used a paper towel to cover the rest of the cookie and sprayed the crown only with Wilton silver Color Mist spray.  (FYI, that stuff is AWESOME!  I've had a lot of trouble with painting luster dust using vodka - I can't figure out how to keep the frosting from looking a little pitted.  Suggestions, please!  But this stuff always looks amazing.  The only problem is you get spray on the cookie itself, but it's way cheaper than buying an airbrush ;P)  Then I brushed some Pink pearl dust on the pink part of the cookie to give it a little sparkle.  What kind of princess cookies would they be without sparkle???

And that's it!  Really, much easier than they look.  

Hope that helped a bit!  Have fun decorating :D

















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...