Friday, December 12, 2014

25 Days of Christmas: Day 12 - Gift Idea #1 - Crocheted Mug Cozy Pattern



My original post for today was a project I'd been wanting to try for a long time, but ended up actually being pretty ugly - so it got sent to the scrap heap.  So, I figured I'd go with this one instead :D

I don't know about y'all, but I tend to be a bit of a procrastinator.  I remember the night before that I need to bring treats for the kids' classes or gifts for the teacher or what have you.  Well, what's nice about this little mug cozy is that it's fast and doesn't cost a ridiculous amount of money to make...unless you buy super expensive yarn.  But, I personally LOVE Hobby Lobby's brand, I Love This Cotton.  It has a softer and nicer feel than Lily's Sugar and Cream, but it's absorbent because it's cotton and they have an amazing range of colors.  I pretty much went a little crazy when I saw all the fun colors - I was in the aisle, like "Buy ALL THE YARN!!!"  Ha!  Yeah...but I digress.

If you find yourself in need of a quick little teacher or coworker gift, or even a stocking stuffer for family members, this is an adorable way to go.

I don't have any pictures of the process yet, since I've been doing it at night when the kids are in bed and our lighting is TERRIBLE.  So, hopefully you can understand what I'm saying.  If you have any questions, just let me know in the comments and I'll try to answer them.

First things first - FIT.
 It will be pretty snug on wider mugs, but should fit more loosely on slimmer mugs.  You can adjust the length however you would like.  This picture shows how it fits on one of my wider mugs.  You don't have to sorry about it slipping down at all - it is very securely on there ;)


Okay, here goes:

For the main piece:
Chain 13, hdc in 2nd chain from hook and across to the end (12 total stitches).
Row 1: Ch 1, turn.  hdc 12 stitches across in back loop (12)
Rows 2-21.  Repeat Row 1, always working in the back loop.  This creates the ribbed look.
Bind off.
For the tab:
Row 1: Join in with a hdc in the 4th stitch from the right.  Work 6 total hdc.   (so 3 left unworked, 6 HDC, 3 left unworked.)
Row 2: Ch 1, turn.  Do 6 hdc across
Row 3: Repeat Row 2.
Row 4: Ch 1, turn, do 2 hdc, ch 2, skip 2 stitches, and 2 hdc in last (This will create your button hole)
Row 5: Ch 1, turn.  Do sc around the full stitches around the perimeter of the whole cozy.  When you get to the button hole, do 3 sc in the chain space, then continue around the perimeter.  When you get to a corner, do 3 sc in each corner stitch.
When you get to the end, join with a slip stitch to your first sc and bind off.

Weave in your ends and sew on a button of your choice (I used these in the ones pictured, and these on some others I made, though not pictured.)



See?  Not too terribly difficult.  Of course, maybe you think this was insanely difficult because my instructions are awful.  If this is the case, seriously - tell me so I can fix it.

Anyhoo, if you make some of these, I'd love to see pics of what you come up with :D  If you don't crochet and don't feel like making them yourself, head on over to my Facebook page - I sell them there ;)

Happy holiday crafting!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...