Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Banana Streusel Muffins




Oh. My. Stars.

This recipe is one of those fortuitous, happy accidents that makes all the other craft/baking failures I make so often pale into faded memories ;P  Wow.  How's that for waxing dramatic ;)

It's not an actual streusel, but more of a crunchy glaze.  A yummy, addicting, delicious crunchy glaze.

I realized at about 7:40 this morning that I was supposed to bring breakfast to MOPS at 9:30 - I still hadn't showered and needed to get my son to preschool at 9:15.  I REALLY didn't want to drag the boys into the grocery store to pick something up, so I started rummaging through my pantry/fridge/counter to see what I had available.

2 getting-old-really-fast bananas were sitting in the fruit basket.  SCORE!  BANANA BREAD!  I pulled out my mom's recipe and realized that it would take an hour to bake in loaf form.  Forget that.  Baking them as muffins decreases bake time, so that's what I did.

I mushed up those 2 bananas in the bowl with my masher, poured a cup of sugar on it, then went to grab the eggs - or egg singular as it turned out was all I had.  Crud.  Quick, to Pinterest to search for egg substitutes!

At first all I could find was bananas and applesauce.  I had already used my last 2 bananas in the recipe and I didn't have any applesauce.  I scoured the fridge some more and found some Greek vanilla yogurt.  Back to Pinterest to see if you could sub that for eggs.  I am happy to inform you that YES you can - 1/4 cup for 1 egg.  DONE.

Mixed it all up, and then thought, "You know what would be really good on top of this?  Streusel."

But I had no idea how to make streusel.  I knew butter was in it, and brown sugar, and nuts.  So I melted a whole stick of butter and THEN looked up a recipe.  Oops, you're supposed to only soften it.  Oh well.  I dumped some brown sugar in (I never measure this stuff), crushed up a bunch of pecans from my friend's pecan tree, then realized the recipe called for flour, so threw a little of that in there, too.  I mixed it all up with my hands and after scooping the muffin dough into the tins, I used my fingers to scoop some of this on top.  It was more the consistency of honey than a powdery dough.

 I baked them for about 20 minutes, checked them with a toothpick and they were done!  I let them cool and broke one open to try it and I almost wept a little it was so good ;P  Well, maybe not WEPT, but I definitely breathed a sigh of relief that I wasn't going to kill anyone at MOPS with my muffins.  PHEW!

For those of you who would like to try this, here's the recipe:

2 ripe bananas, mashed
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

Mix all together and put in paper-lined muffin tins.

Top with "streusel":
1 stick of butter
approx. 1/2-1 cup brown sugar
approx. 1/2-3/4 cup crushed pecans
approx 1/3-1/2 cup flour

You want the consistency to be like honey - not super flowy, but not thick, either.  Tweak this to what you like.  You want it sweeter?  Add more sugar.  You want it thicker?  Add more flour.  You LOVE nuts?  Add as much (or as little) as you like.  I'm convinced that there's a lot of freedom in baking - it doesn't have to be perfect, so make it what YOU like.

And most of all, ENJOY :D


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...