Monday, October 12, 2015

31 Days of Halloween 2015 - Day 10: Pumpkin Spice Macarons with Pumpkin Cheesecake Filling


Y'all, I have tried several times to make macarons, and I just couldn't seem to get it to work.  This time, I followed all the instructions except to let the eggs age for 24 hours-5 days.  They look like they're supposed to, but the caps are hollow.  You know what?  I don't even care, because these suckers are CUTE and they taste AH-MAZING!!

I used the recipe from Food Nouveau.  I won't re-write it here, because she does an amazing job :)

The only thing I did differently, was that I took out a few grams of the powdered sugar and added pumpkin pie spice in its place.  Overall, the gram weight was the same.  Totally up to you how much you want to replace - I just eyeballed it.  It looked like maybe a teaspoon or so?  I don't do well working with absolutes, which is probably why the caps were hollow ;P


For the filling, I mixed about 1/2 cup of pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling), 1/2 cup of whipped cream cheese, about 1/2 tsp of vanilla, approx. 1/2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice and beat it until smooth.  I then added enough powdered sugar to make it the right consistency.  I just kept adding and mixing until it was just thick enough, like a good buttercream.  It ended up being about half of a 2 lb bag.


Once the cookies were cool, I peeled them off the parchment and paired them up by size.  I put the filling into a piping bag with a large round tip and squeezed some on half the cookies.


 Then I topped them with the other cookies and completed the "cheeseburger cookie" look, as my husband likes to call them ;P

Even with the hollow caps, these are so yummy.  If it looks pretty and it tastes good, in my book, that's a win :)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...