Wednesday, October 15, 2014

31 Days of Halloween 2014 - Day 15: Pumpkin Spice Pecan Meltaway Cookies



I know, I know - this isn't a Halloween item.  It's a fall item.  But let me tell you, I made these last night and they are SOOOOOOO good!  Seriously, they're soft and fluffy and totally do melt in your mouth.  I didn't take any process pics because I was simultaneously cooking dinner last night and getting ready for the babysitter.  Yay for Lifegroup and babysitters!!  Boo for not taking pictures!!  ;P

Anyhoo, I adapted the recipe from the one at The Girl Who Ate Everything, which she had originally adapted from Better Homes and Gardens.

I'm not a big frosting person when it comes to cookies, so I decided to leave that part off.  I think it was a good choice, but if you really like frosting, then by all means, make yourself some frosting ;)  We sprinkled powdered sugar on top instead.  Mmmmmm...powdered sugar....they'd be really good with pumpkin pie spice sprinkled on top, too...*drooling*

*ahem* Sorry.  Onto the recipe.  I did a half batch and changed some of the measurements, added a few things, etc. etc.  So I'll retype it for simplicity's sake:

1 cup butter (softened)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp. cinnamon*
1 tsp nutmeg*
1/2 tsp allspice*
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla bean paste* or vanilla extract
1 scant cup pumpkin (meaning don't pack it into the measuring cup, leave a little space at the top)
4 cups all purpose flour
1 cup pecans, crushed*

(*starred items have been changed from or added to the original recipe)

Beat the softened butter until light and fluffy, add in sugar, baking powder and soda, salt, and spices.  Beat more until lighter and fluffier ;P  Add in the egg, vanilla bean paste (or extract), and pumpkin and mix well.  Finally, add in the flour and mix well.  Fold in your crushed pecans.  Use a cookie scoop to scoop onto a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 10 minutes (longer if needed).  The bottoms should be a little browned and the tops should look set.  Let cool on the sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire cooling rack.

These are very soft, so if you try to move them too soon, you'll regret it.  Or you won't, because you'll get to eat a bunch of broken cookie crumbles.  But if you're going for WHOLE cookies, try to wait ;)

These were really simple to make and I would absolutely make them again.  Maybe this time I'll do a whole batch (you know it's good if it uses a whole pound of butter!!  Ha!)

Enjoy :D






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...