Monday, March 18, 2013

Cloth Diaper Insanity - Part 1

Oh, the HUMANITY!!

I've said it before - I'm cheap.  So with 2 kids in diapers, I figured "Why not try out this cloth diaper thing?".  But buy them?  Oh, no.  Not me.  I have to prove to myself that I can do it.

I had tried this once before, with epically disastrous results.  I'm talking absolutely disgusting.  But I did a little more research this time and was inspired to try again.  I love the look of gDiapers - I think they're absolutely adorable!  So I set to work, looking up tutorials.

But I didn't want to just make a copycat gDiaper, I wanted to tweak it, improve it, make it my own.  I'm an idiot.  And I just HAD to make my own pattern, so that when it was a brilliant success, I could sell it.  Again, MORON.

I made my first version with knit fabric and waterproofing spray.  I guess it could have worked, but the spray cost $15 and covered all of 2 size small diapers.  A little piece of my inner cheapskate died.  Plus my design didn't fit baby boy right, so both fabric and spray were wasted.  Version 2 - used PUL on the inside and knit fabric on the outside, but it leaked right out of the seams.  Version 3 - I bound the seams with PUL on the sides, so it leaked right out the top where I hadn't bound the seam.  Plus, the fit wasn't great.  Version 4 - made the fit a little better, but still a leaker out the front.  What I wanted was cute stretch fabric on the outside that would be waterproof, but that is apparently a very expensive pipe dream.  (Not to mention that with washing, the waterproofing spray would have to be reapplied from time to time, too...)

So, I sucked it up and found some free patterns online for sizing and basic shape reference, and drew up yet another version.  The jury's still out on this one.  It's not at all what I wanted originally - It's made out of PUL.  It's not one of my cute fabrics like I wanted.  It's not the style that I wanted.  And I still don't know if it'll even work - it's in the dryer *hopefully* sealing up the holes from sewing.  Ugh.  Sometimes I wish I was a quitter, because I. just. can't. let. this. go. and it's killing me.  Say a prayer for me, folks.  You might see me sometime in the next few weeks running around the neighborhood, acting like Tommy Boy when he completely butchers the butcher joke - minus the foul language...







***UPDATE - Leaker.  Total and complete leaker.***


For more of my journey with making cloth diapers, check out posts 1.52, and 3


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...