Friday, September 13, 2013

Backsplashes, Bunk Beds, and Attics, Oh My!

Well, I finished painting the rest of the tile backsplash behind the sink.  I had already painted behind the coffee bar in Part 1 and the stove in Part 2, and I liked it, but the contrast with the old yellow color still behind the sink made me not love it.  I don't know what it was, but it just got to me.

Coffee Bar
Stove
Behind the sink before
Behind the sink before
Now, with it all being the same color, I LOVE it!  I smile when I walk in there and I can't wait to refinish the cabinets and and paint the walls/ceiling.  It's going to be so much brighter :D


And after ;)

Still haven't caulked it yet - going to wait about 7 days for the oil paint to cure.



I also refinished our old Walmart bunk beds.  Here's the story on those.  All three of my older children have strong oral fixations.  My oldest sucked her two middle fingers, my second her thumb, and my third - my son - is apparently a beaver.  As in he chewed his beds to bits.  The crib.  The bunk beds - his AND his sister's...  Seriously, these beds were in AWFUL shape!






See?  I totally wasn't kidding.  

I know, I know, why waste your time refinishing crappy Walmart beds, right?  The honest answer - they're still functional and with all the other junk we're working on with this house, we just can't afford new furniture, too.  So I used the same gel stain from the cabinets and it is beautiful!  Only needed 2 coats of stain and 2 coats of poly.  LOVE :D


This is one coat of the gel stain

With 2 coats of stain and 2 coats of poly.  We lost some of our screws, so it'll be awhile before we get them replaced and the beds put back together.  I'll post pictures when we do :)
Update: pic of the beds up and in use :)



My husband also finished out the attic by adding a floor so we can actually store things up there.  I think he did an absolutely AMAZING job!




Now that's it's the weekend again, should have some more to show you soon ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...