Wednesday, August 27, 2014

DIY Infant Muscle Man Onesie



Well, it's only taken me almost a year to get this tutorial out.  So pathetic, I know, but this is part of the costume that I made for my son's first Halloween.  We got this onesie as a gift and it is the inspiration for this costume.



I don't know why, but once the idea for him to be a vintage muscle man popped in my head, I could. not. rest until it became a reality.  And that reality was every bit as adorable as I had imagined it would be :)

Here's how you can make one yourself.  I don't have the actual pattern pieces anymore, but if I ever get around to it, I'll draw some more up and put them up here.  Until then, you can see the basic shapes in the pictures to give you an idea.

First things first - get your onesie and dye it.  I like to use liquid RIT dye in tan and do it in the washing machine because, let's face it, I'm kinda lazy when it comes to this part of the process.  If I can save myself some time and effort somewhere, I'm going to do it.  Once it's all dyed, washed, and dried according to package instructions, you're going to want to break out your seam ripper and tear the side seams from right above the hip all the way to right above the wrists.  DO NOT seam rip through the ends, because you do NOT want to have to resew knit seam binding.  No fun.


Why bother with this step, you ask?  This makes it INFINITELY easier to sew and iron the "muscles" onto those little sleeves :)  I honestly think that the sleeves are so skinny that it would be impossible to do this without ripping the sides open.

Cut your muscle shapes out of quilt batting and fusible knit interfacing (cut the interfacing larger than the batting shapes and use the sheet batting - not the polyfil pillow stuffing.  It keeps its shape and is so much easier to work with)

Lay your batting pieces where you want them, lay the interfacing overtop and iron according to instructions to keep batting pieces in place.  Then sew around with your sewing machine's straight knit stitch (it gives you a straight line but also some stretch)





Resew your side seams and you're good to go!  Put that cute little onesie on your little man and get ready to ooooh and aaaah :D  Stay tuned for the tutorial for the rest of the vintage muscle man costume!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...