Sunday, December 7, 2014

25 Days of Christmas: Day 7 - Pine Cone Ornaments



I've been posting a lot of ornaments this weekend - I'd say sorry about that, but I'm totally not.  I got a whole tree's worth of ornaments out of it that I've wanted for a long time :)

This one was inspired by these and these.  They're just so beautiful and elegant!  I don't have pictures of my process, but I'll walk you through it.  It's pretty simple.

Supplies:
Pine Cones (I don't have any pine trees near where I live, so I bought the cinnamon scented ones at Michael's on sale.  I think I paid $3 for a whole bag)
Wire Cutters

I rummaged through the pine cones to find the prettiest ones, then took my awl and poked a hole in the top by the stem.  Be really careful so you don't break the pine cone apart.

I then took a head pin and trimmed it to a little longer than the depth of the hole I just poked (eyeballed it)

Take the head pin and dip the end of it in the tip of your glue container.  Squeeze slightly so that the glue comes to the top, but doesn't come out of the tube.  It gets just the right amount on your pin.

Push the pin into the pinecone and let dry overnight.

Make a bow out of whatever ribbon you like - I found some cute burlap ribbon at Michaels that is glued together so it doesn't fray like crazy.  Hot glue the bow in front of the head pin.

If you want, add gold leaf or glitter - I liked it as it was, so I skipped this step.

Once everything is dry and sturdy, place an ornament hook through the head pin and hang on your tree :D

If you make some, I'd love to see what you come up with - post some pics in the comments!



Enjoy!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...