Friday, October 5, 2012

31 Days of Halloween 2012 - Day 5: Hanging Bat Decor




Anyone out there seen Goonies?  Yeah, I thought there might be some of you ;)  GREAT movie, and this scene just kills me:




Halloween and being swarmed by a colony of bats go hand in hand, and we just happen to have the PERFECT little covered entryway to simulate our own little colony.  But buying bats to hang from the store - while more life-like - racks up the dollar signs pretty fast.  Besides that, I don't want my front entryway to be TOO scary, and some of those suckers at the store are pretty gruesome looking.  So I decided to make my own with just a few cheap supplies you may already have most of around the house.  Let's get to work!

Supplies:
Black sewing thread and needle
pen
scissors
black craft foam sheet - large (I think these are less than a dollar at Michaels)
template(s)
thumb tacks

After you gather your supplies, find some free bat templates online.  I wanted this to be more realistic, so I found about 5 different templates of bats in varying stages of flying or hanging upside down.  I copy/pasted them into a Word document to get the size I wanted, then printed them out on white cardstock and cut them out.  This becomes your template so you can make as many bats as you want.  (I haven't attached any templates because I'm not sure of the legalities - but if you do a google image search for free bat templates, you should find a bunch)

Trace the bats onto the foam with a pen and cut out.


My goober grape helping me :D  But seriously, those eyes - they kill me!


Put the needle through the front and then from back to front to create a loop:


Slide the tails through the loop and tighten to securely hang it.  (Sorry - horrible picture, but you get the idea hopefully)


Double knot the tails at the length you want the bats to hang around the pin of a thumbtack.  Do the bats at varying lengths for more realism.

MAN, I need a manicure!  I made cookies yesterday and it never fails to give me man-hands.

Make sure not to tangle the threads!!  I did that several times and had to cut and re-tie.  ANNOYING!!!

Push the pins into the ceiling, and enjoy your bat colony!!


My two little helpers :D  

Muah ah ah ah ah!!!
Phase 1 of outdoor decorations complete!!

***I fully recognize that any amount of intelligence or creativity I have is a gift from God.  What I have been freely given, I freely give.  But if you choose to use these tutorials to sell items from, I would ask that you consider joining the Let Justice Flow Initiative, where you commit to donating either 10% of the total purchase price of each item, or designate a specific item for sale where the entire purchase price is donated to an organization that helps fight injustices around the world.  There are specific groups listed to give you an idea on the LJF page.  And feel free to snag the LJF button and put it on your page or etsy site.  Thanks!!***




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...