Friday, October 10, 2014

31 Days of Halloween 2014 - Day 10: Free Ghost Cross Stitch Pattern



I haven't done cross stitch in YEARS, but then I found this website, where you can create cross stitch patterns for free and I had to try it out.

It's pretty easy, but there is some tweaking involved.  The higher the stitch count, the better quality of the picture.  But that also makes it much larger.  I did my sample on Aida size 18, which is pretty small (the larger the number, the smaller the squares.)  If you're a beginner, definitely start with a larger size fabric.  Trust me...I used to do this all the time and it was more difficult to see with this small fabric - that *might* have something to do with my age, but I refuse to believe that ;P

Supplies:
Aida fabric in the size of your choice (14, 16, 18)
embroidery needle
embroidery thread (I used only black for a silhouette feel, but you could use any color you want)
scissors
embroidery hoop.  I used a 4" size 
Pen or pencil
Free Ghost Cross Stitch Pattern.  If you have trouble downloading through Dropbox, you can download it from Craftsy for free as well :)

First things first, print out the paper pattern.  Trust me.  This makes it MUCH easier to keep track of what you've done already.  You will have to tape 2 pages together.  Find the center of your pattern and mark with a dot.  (There are 2 arrows on the top and left sides of the pattern.  Find where they intersect)

Do the same thing on your piece of fabric.  Fold in half, and then fold in half again.  Unfold, and the center of your creases is the center of your fabric.  You can either mark lightly with a pen, or wiggle the needle in the hole to make it larger than the others.

Cut a piece of embroidery thread that is relatively short - if it's too long, it will tangle up like mad while stitching.  I think it's easier to cut and use a bunch of short threads than have to deal with a bunch of tangles, but that's just me.

Separate said thread into 2 sections (3 threads in each side)  Thread your needle with one set of 3.

I usually go from top to bottom.  Count up from the center to the top left stitch on the pattern, then do the same on your fabric.  Start from there.

Put the needle through the back at point 1 and put back from the front through point 2.  I do that for all the stitches in the line, then go back the other direction, putting the needle through point 3 from the back and through the front at point 4 - all the way back to the beginning.  This way, you can start the next row from the beginning.




For each row you finish, cross it off on your paper pattern with a pen or pencil, so if you have to step away, you remember where you are.

When you're done, iron your piece and stick back in the embroidery hoop.




Trim fabric along the back and display your work proudly :D  If you make this, please post pics in the comments - I'd LOVE to see what you come up with!  Thanks!









***For personal use only.  If you would like to make items to sell, please contact me about purchasing a commercial license.  Thanks!!***

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...