Wednesday, October 22, 2014

31 Days of Halloween 2014 - Day 22: Shabby Chic Crochet Pumpkins (Part 1 of Pumpkin Trio)



This pattern is not my original, but it is a hybrid of 2 free patterns that I found online.  The crochet pattern is by Yarn Yard on Ravelry.  You do have to have an account to access it, but it's free and TOTALLY worth it!  You can find lots of free knit and crochet patterns, as well as tons for sale.  I love it :D  The leaf, bow, and stem are from Positively Splendid's Patchwork Pumpkins.

To make the pumpkin, I used plain white yarn (worsted weight, no clue on brand...sorry) and a size G crochet hook.  I did not use a marker at the beginning of the row, but instead counted my way along.  You have to be able to do this in one sitting if you are going to do it that way.  Don't lose count ;P  On second thought, just use a marker...it'll save you some trouble ;)

It works up into a little ball that you stuff with fiberfill.  When I finished the ball, I cut tied it off and cut the tail REALLY long.  Instead of cutting another piece of yarn to tie around the ball, I just used the tail, going from top to bottom then wrapping around back to top.  Pretty simple.

Following the instructions for the patchwork pumpkins, I used the smallest leaf template and cut it out of some really pretty mottled oatmeal colored felt.  I hot glued the cinnamon stick in, then glued the leaf on, then made a bow out of white grosgrain ribbon (grow-grain, in case you were wondering) and hot glued that on last.  Super easy :)

I was able to finish the crochet portion while watching tv after the kids went to bed, so it was a fun little evening project.  The embellishments came together really quickly.  One could seriously get addicted to making these - I think I'm going to try with some different sized crochet hooks :D







If you make anything, I'd love to see it, as I'm sure the original pattern designers would as well!

Enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...