Thursday, October 23, 2014

31 Days of Halloween 2014 - Day 23: Glitter Pumpkins (Part 2 of Pumpkin Trio)



I'm kind of on a pumpkin kick right now.  I love having all different shapes and textures of the same type of thing in the same color palette.   That's pretty much my decorating MO.  Probably boring, but I love it :D

Yesterday, I made a crochet pumpkin, which as it's turning out is Part 1 in the pumpkin trio.  Today, I decorated one of my mini pumpkins with spray paint and glitter (Part 2 in the pumpkin trio).  I'm not particularly fond of the color orange, and it certainly doesn't fit in with the color scheme of my home.  I also like things to be light and bright (usually) so I don't have a TON of black out for my Halloween decor.  I saw this pumpkin idea from Fox Hollow Cottage, and knew that it would be perfect  :)

Unfortunately, I didn't read the instructions all the way through O_o

Friends - wash your pumpkins.  Just do it.  I didn't, and well, it turned out OK, but it was still a bit sticky, even the next morning.  On some I primed with BIN 123, and they were fine.  But the ones I just spray painted on, they stayed pretty sticky.  I sprayed sealer over it and it seemed to help.

Anyhoo...once it was spray painted, I brushed some Mod Podge on the bottom of the pumpkin and sprinkled some white iridescent glitter on it and set it upside down to dry.  Once dry, I sprayed some sealer over it just to make sure the glitter stays put.  I LOVE this glitter - it has a little purple sparkle to it in the right light.  SO much fun :D






For the leaf, I found some scrap fabric that I had in my craft room that has a silver and ethereal look to it.  When I saw it, I knew I needed some but didn't know for what project.  Now I know ;P  Just goes to show you that if you love something, go ahead and snatch it up.  Hoarding does sometimes have its benefits!  Ha!  I used the small leaf from the patchwork pumpkin template.  I overlapped the center to give it some depth because the fabric I had is REALLY thin, then hot glued it next to the stem.  You could also use a push pin, but that would have required me to go back upstairs ;)




And that's it - really, it couldn't be much easier.

Stay tuned for the final pumpkin in our little trio tomorrow!

How are you decorating your pumpkins this year??



1 comment:

  1. Darn instructions... always such a hassle ;)


    Super cute. Glitter makes everything better!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...