Friday, October 23, 2015

31 Days of Halloween 2015 - Day 20: Mad Scientist Potions



Our mad scientist mantel looked a little...lacking.  So, I went to Pinterest and found these ideas.

via Mad Science on HubPages

Via BaptizedinGin on Flickr

 Of COURSE!  I needed a green glow!  But how?

After some searching, I found this tutorial from Steve Spangler Science for fireflies in a jar and he talks about how fluorescent things can glow.  I think I also read somewhere else about the highlighter tip, but I can't for the life of me find it anymore.  I'm pretty sure I didn't come up with this idea on my own ;P

Anyway, here's how I did it:

I filled a vase with water.  Then I used a pair of pliers and pulled the foam tip out of the highlighter and pulled the bottom off to get at the foam core.  Be careful, those things go can go flying!




I dropped the foam cores into the water and let them soak a bit, then (with gloves, which I forgot) you can squeeze some of the ink out of the foam into the water.  This makes it super concentrated.

Over the sink, I poured the water into the different jars, adjusting the heights of the water.  I thought that the heights of the jars would be what I needed to pay attention to, but they disappear into the background and really all you can see is the height of the water.

If I had this to do over again, I'd just pour the water into the jars and drop a few drops of highlighter ink from the foam core directly in.  I think that would be lots less messy.




Anyway, it gives a nice glow during the day, and REALLY looks cool with a black light ;)






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...